I am so glad that my mother found this recipe. This is the perfect treat when you are craving something sweet! The recipe called for 14 muffins but I for one like having smaller treats on hand; so I made 19 muffins (that way when you have two you don’t feel guilty lol)
The recipe also claims these to be muffins but I describe them to be more like cupcakes.
Happy baking! ❤
15 – 17 minutes
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 & 1/4 cup lightly packed shredded zucchini, skin left on
- 1 & 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract2 cups
- whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose – I used all-purpose as it was all I had)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 2/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- OPTiONAL – 1/3 cup of dark chocolate chips (I however did not use these as the cacoa powder is enough chocolate for me!)
1. Preheat oven to 350F and lightly spray muffin tin with oil or grease.
2. Mix flax ‘egg’ in a bowl and set aside.
3. Grate zucchini; set aside.
4. Mix almond milk & apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and set aside (It may curdle, but thats okay since we are making vegan butter)
5. Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cane sugar)
6. Mix together all wet ingredients (flax egg, almond milk mixture, maple syrup, and vanilla)
7. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients. Stir until combined. Fold in walnuts and shredded zucchini (optional: chocolate chips)
8. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin filling each tin 3/4 of the way. At 350F cook for 14-17 mins depending on your oven. Check them at 14 with a tooth pick (it should come out mostly clean)
9. Cool in tin for 5 minutes then with a knife, loosen around the edges of each muffin to transfer to a cooling rack.
10. ENJOY AND SHARE WITH EVERYONE ❤
This batter is very sticky and can be quite thick… try to work quickly when getting the batter into the muffin tin.
Oh and enjoy eating the left over batter… it is simply delicious.
As I mentioned my mom baked these delicious treats for me after finding it in the ‘Oh She Glows Cookbook’ They are just TOO good not to share!